Chapter Five

Third Person


Grace and Frankie sat in the car in the parking lot of the train station. Both were crying and not looking at each other in the eyes. The day seemed to get more gray as the time got closer for Frankies train to leave. Grace stared out her window, trying to think of anything to say to fill the silence. Nothing was happening.


"Grace," Frankie started, "I have to go, the train's going to be here any minute. Will you walk me up?"


"Sure." Grace replied wiping her tears.


None of this felt real, to either of the women. After Frankie got on that train and left, Grace would be all by herself. Walking up the platform and seeing Jacob standing there was the moment Frankie knew it was really happening. She almost fainted. Not because she was happy to see him but because the realness of her leaving hit her harder than she thought it would.


"It's real now, Grace. I'm actually leaving. You don't even know how much I'm going to miss you."  Frankie started to cry again.


"It's more real than I'd like it to be, honestly. I'm going to miss you too." Grace unsuccessfully tried to hold back her tears.


"Call me when you get home, ok?" Frankie chuckled at how maternal she was sounding right now.


"Ok, Mom, I will." Grace chuckled as she wiped her tears.


"Frankie, we have to go." Jacob chimed in.


"Ok, I'm coming."


"I love you, Frankie." Grace whispered into Frankies ear as they hugged.


"I love you, too, Grace." Frankie whispered back.


Before Grace could say anything else, Frankie walked over to Jacob and got on the train. Grace stood shocked for a moment before walking back to her car and driving home. The drive seemed like it took forever. Grace was so trapped in her thoughts that she almost missed the exit and she almost forgot to pull into the driveway. After about an hour of being home and half an hour of crying and deep breathing, Grace finally decided to call Frankie.


"Grace! I was so worried about you, how are you?" Frankie answered excitedly.


"It's only been an hour and a half, but, I'm ok."


"I miss you. You sound like you've been crying. Are you sure you're ok?"


"I will be. I miss you too."


The women talked on the phone for an hour before Grace heard a knock at the door and had to go.


Frankie


After I got off the phone with Grace, I tried to rest my eyes for a couple hours. Which didn't work, Jacob ended up nudging me a little to wake me up.


"You hungry?" Jacob asked gently. I nodded my head yes and took his hand to follow him to the food car. For a moment, I didn't think of Grace at all. Until I couldn't find my purse and started looking around, hoping Grace would hand it to me and tell me that I left it in some ridiculous place. I sighed when I realized it wouldn't happen and told myself I'd find it later. Once Jacob got up to go somewhere, I don't know where, I went back to the car we're in and cried myself to sleep. I ended up having a dream about Grace (I know, shocker)


Frankies Dream


I had run back to San Diego and I saw Grace waiting for me on the platform of the train station. I ran over to try and hug her but something was pushing me further and further away from her. I could hear Gracces voice but it was too muffled and I couldn't understand what she was saying to me. Then all I heard from her was:
"Come home."
I heard it over and over again until I felt something shaking me. I open my eyes to see Jacob telling me we're here and that his daughter is waiting for us on the platform.


"Jacob, I'm scared." I said as Jacob took my hand.


"There's nothing to be afraid of." Jacob replied gently


"New town, new people, no Del Taco or Jamba Juice within 20 minutes of your house, no Grace."


"You're going to like it, I promise."


I followed Jacob to meet his daughter and we went to his house.


Comments