Chapter One

Frankies P.O.V


Grace and I didn't formally meet until mid-1975 at a little gathering Sol and Robert were invited to through the law firm they were working for at that time. Robert and Grace got there not too long before Sol and myself. And when Sol and I walked in, Grace was the first one I was really drawn to. I don't even remember anyone else being in the room, all I can remember is how gorgeous she looked. Her blonde hair, her perfect figure, her legs that looked like they went on for days, I was drawn to all of it. The moment I laid eyes on her, I knew I need to talk to her. I had no idea what to say but I needed to talk to her, know her. I didn't care if she liked me or not, as long as I got to talk to her. I took a deep breath and nervously walked over to her. While I was walking over, I was thinking of what to say other than hi. That was when I lifted my shirt and smiled.


"Do these look right to you?" I asked with my shirt under my chin and my hands holding the sides of my shirt.


"I didn't even know those could look could look wrong."  Grace replied as she looked away. 


I saw her blush as she looked away and obviously could tell she liked what she saw but obviously, I never said anything. There was something about Grace that I couldn't pull myself away from. But I have Sol and she has Robert so, nothing could ever really happen between us. There's also no way Grace feels this way about me. After a little bit of awkwardness, I walked away to be with Sol. I intertwined my arm with his. 


  "I don't think she likes me very much, Sol." I whispered.


"I saw you show her your boobs, Frankie. Maybe you were a little too forward with her. Why don't you try again? And don't freak her out this time." Sol whispered back.


"Right." I pat Sols shoulder and walked back over to Grace. I was shaking harder than the first time I went over. I couldn't think of anything to say at first. Occasionally Grace and I would find things to talk about. But from that point I could see a change in her, a change I didn't like. She went from being nice to really bitchy to just downright nasty to me sometimes and I never understood why. Even today, I don't understand why she can be so mean to me sometimes. I've only ever put up with it for Sol and Robert. It wasn't until the night of the burglary that I came to realize what I was feeling for Grace all this time. I'll never forget it, I'd slept in Graces bed because I was terrified to be alone. I slept for a couple of hours then I woke up, opening my eyes to see Grace facing me. She was still asleep. I lied there and just stared at her. She's still the most beautiful creature I've ever laid my eyes on, except for my sons, of course. There was a glow to her that night that I'd never seen before, even during the day and I loved it. 


Modern Day


Every time I look at Grace, a whole set of emotions I never knew existed shows up. I never knew I could feel so much for one person. We've known each other for over 40 years and sometimes I feel like a school girl all over again. I just want to be with Grace all the time, never leaving her side. Which I do anyway but it's gotten more intense since we moved into the beach house. I loved Sol and I love Jacob but what I felt for Sol and what I feel (or have felt) for Jacob doesn't compare to what I feel for Grace. It's like something awakened in me that I never knew needed to be woken up in the first place. My feelings got to a point where I had a day picked out where I would tell Grace how I feel. No questions, no backing out last minute. Until I found out that her and Nick started seeing each other. The moment I found out, I went to my studio and just cried myself into a nap. 


A Couple Weeks Later


Jacob asked me to move to Santa Fe with him. About a week later, I'd said I'll go. Grace has Nick and seems happy and safe with him. I don't think she really needs me here anymore. As much as I'd love to stay, I know she'll be safe. Even if it is with dickhead. I roll my eyes even thinking about him. Ugh, anyway. I knew I'd have to tell Grace that I'm leaving, which I'm completely dreading to be honest. I walked into the house from my studio and started looking around the house for Grace.


"Grace!" I called. 


"I'm out here!" she called as she laughed. I saw him sitting next to her, probably making some stupid joke or something. 


"Grace, I have to tell you something." I said. Grace and Nick both looked up at me.


"What is it?" Grace asked smiling. 


I've decided to go to Santa Fe with Jacob."


I saw Graces jaw drop and her eyes widen as she stood up. There was silence and we just stood there staring at each other for a little while. In that moment, it seemed like Nick wasn't even there. </p>


"When do you leave?" 


"In a couple days. I still have to tell everyone, say my goodbyes, pack my stuff, spend my last days in California with you. You know, all that sad stuff that happens in the films or on TV. I just wanted you to be the first to know."


I could tell Grace wasn't happy about me leaving, but her reaction was much different this time than it was when I first told her I was even thinking of going. She looked like she was about to tell me to stay until she felt Nick put his arm around her waist. I felt tears form in my eyes as I walked inside. I could hear a little sniffle come from Grace but I never turned around. The last thing I wanted was to see her do right now was cry.


Later That Night


I sat down on the couch in my studio, still crying. I can't leave Grace here, even if she isn't alone, I still can't leave her here. It doesn't feel right, in my gut, something is very wrong about leaving her here. Not only is it because I'm completely and hopelessly in love with her but there's something else, I just don't know what it is. After a couple minutes of sitting in my thoughts, I heard a knock at the door. I looked up to see Grace.</p>


"Come in!" I called, my voice trembling.


"How much will we see each other before you have to leave?" Grace asked tearfully as she walked over to sit next to me.


"Hopefully a lot. I don't want to see anyone else before I go. I cancelled any plans I had with Jacob to spend these last couple of days with you. He was fine with it, very understanding and he said he'll be going to Santa Fe ahead of me." I smiled. Grace, still in tears, smiled back at me and took my hand. There was a spark between us that I'd never really felt, or possibly noticed, before. 


"I can't believe you're actually leaving. I know I'm the one that told you to go but still. I just can't believe it." 


"We have a couple days. Why don't we have a say yes night tomorrow night?" I excitedly smiled, wiping my tears. 


Grace nodded and smiled as she wiped any leftover tears she had on her face. 


"Where's Nick? I thought you two were spending the night together?"</p>


"I explained some things to him and he understood that these are the last times we'll have to really be together."


"For a while until you come to visit. May I ask what those things are?"


"No."


"Come on, Grace, you know my curiosity."


"Yes, I do. And your curiosity is going to have to go away because I'm not telling you." Grace chuckled a little as she saw me pout.


"You know, you look so gorgeous right now." I blurted out. 


"Thank you."


There was silence as we both sat there, looking around the room. It was a nice, peaceful silence that doesn't seem to happen too often. I liked it. It wasn't awkward at all. I smiled as I looked over at Grace. This damn woman always seems to have a glow every time we're together and I love it. 


"I should go to bed, I have a bit of a long day tomorrow. We both do." I said as I smiled at Grace.


"Right. I'm tired anyway. I'll see you in the morning." Grace replied, smiling back at me.

Comments