Chapter Two

"What are we doing today?" I asked, walking in from the studio, smiling.

"Outside of say yes night, I was thinking we could sit in and talk about things."

"What things?"

"Santa Fe, us, I want to break up with Nick."

"What? Why? Did he do something to you?"

"No. I just don't love him the way I should. I'm in love with someone else."

"Oh...who is he?"

"It's a woman actually."

My jaw dropped and I walked over to sit on the couch. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was relieved that she's breaking up with Nick, but the fact that she's in love with a woman has me baffled and ecstatic. After a couple more seconds of processing this, I got up, walked over to Grace and hugged her. I'd forgotten why I was hugging her for a moment. The smell of her perfume makes me forget what I'm doing from time to time. I step back and smiled as I looked at her. I didn't ask who it was, the words wouldn't leave my mouth. I wasn't shocked that Grace likes women, I've known for quite a while. But the fact that she said it out loud is amazing

"Grace, am I the first person you've told about this?" I asked as my excitement was building.

"Yes." She replied, smiling big.

I gasped with excitement. I hugged Grace again and I could feel the relief leave her body. I must have hugged her too long because when I heard the door shut, I jumped a little. I saw Jacob standing in front of Grace and I.

"What are you two so excited about?" Jacob asked smiling.

"It's a very long story but basically, I'm breaking up with Nick." Grace looked at me and smiled. Then she walked away.

"Oh." Jacob replied confused.

"So, what's up?" I asked.

"I came to ask you to marry me."
My eyes widened in shock. "what about Grace?" was my very first thought. Jacob tried to get on one knee before I took his arm and shook my head no, knowing it was a bad idea. We sat down and he looked at me while I thought about this.

"Frankie, you there?" Jacob asked as he looked into my eyes.

"Yes,I'm here." I shook my head out of my thoughts.

"Will you marry me?"

"Of course." We stood up and Jacob hugged me. He heard me sniffle and pulled away.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm just.....really excited." I lied, wiping some of my tears. I wasn't excited at all but I couldn't hurt his feelings. I'm too nice to hurt anyones feelings, even my own. Jacob wiped my tears and kissed me. There were so many thoughts running through my head. Of course, I ignored them and kept telling myself it's for Jacob.

A Few Hours Later


Jacob left forty-five minutes ago and I haven't seen Grace since before he proposed. I'd gotten worried about her and, after much contemplation, went upstairs to see what's going on.

"Grace." I knocked. After a moment of waiting, I slowly opened the door and stuck my head in to see Grace asleep. She looked so gorgeous and peaceful right now. I quietly walked in and lied next to her, her makeup stains running down her face. I just stared at her until I felt my eyes get heavy.  Waking up the next morning, I open my eyes to see Grace looking into my eyes. Looking at me like she's happy I'm there next to her. As I got up, I felt Grace garb my wrist and pull me a little.

"I want to kiss you." Grace whispered.

"But we just woke up. " I whispered back as I lied back down next to her.

"I don't care."
Grace gently touched my face and pressed her lips to mine. There was a passion between us that I haven't felt in years. I started to panic a little when I started to realize that Jacob proposed last night. I couldn't stop kissing Grace, I didn't want to stop kissing her. Her lips are softer and warmer than I thought they were. But I knew I couldn't do this now. I pulled away.

"I can't do this."

"You seem like you want to."

"I so want this, more than I want anything. But Jacob proposed last night and I said yes."

"I know. That's why when you came in here last night, there was make up running down my face. I cried myself to sleep. When do you two get married?" Grace replied softly.

"Probably after we get there, we haven't really planned it yet."

Grace looked at me with a look I'd never seen on her before. It looked like there was a level of hurt that she'd never felt before. The longer we looked at her the more I realized I can't marry Jacob

"We never did our say yes night last night. We still have today then I leave tomorrow." I said moving on. Grace looked at me and nodded in agreement.

"Frankie, can I ask you something personal? Please don't get mad when I ask you."

"Sure."

"Do you love Jacob? Like really love him?"

"Of course I do."

"I'm not even looking at you and I can tell you're lying."
I looked away and down at the ground. I forgot that I'm an obvious liar. There was a long silence before I felt Graces hand lift mine to look at the ring. I slowly looked over at her to see more hurt in her eyes. I took my other hand and put it on her cheek

"I love you, Frankie." Grace whispered.

"Grace, please...." I whispered back, taking my hand away from her face.

"No, please let me finish. I love you, so much. You've made me realize that it's ok to like women. I can be myself around you and I don't remember ever being able to be this relaxed around anyone in my life. Even my own children. I know you have Jacob so I don't mind if you don't feel the same way. I just wanted you to know how I feel about you." Grace sighed a sigh of relief. We both sat there and let the silence happen.

Comments